Notable Skills: Teaching, mentoring students, developing new and diverse curriculum, choreographing works for stage and site, directing large-scale collaborative projects, planning and producing public arts events, marketing, grant writing.
2013-2016 Goddard College, Plainfield, VT & Port Townsend, WA
- Earned a Masters in Fine Arts/Interdisciplinary Art degree with focus in Dance.
- Awarded Pearl Fund Scholarship for dedication to artistic development.
2011-12 Community College of Vermont, Montpelier, VT
- Completed Anatomy and Physiology 1 & 2, GPA 4.0.
2008 Laughing Lotus College of Yoga, San Francisco, CA
- Completed 200+ hour Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Certification.
2002-06 Goucher College, Baltimore, MD
- Earned Bachelor of Arts in Dance and Psychology with a Dance Therapy Concentration.
- Graduated Phi Beta Kappa & Magna Cum Laude.
- Senior research “between, exist,” an interdisciplinary exhibition describing dance and movement as a form of therapy, presented by Goucher College Art department.
- 2005 Dance Semester abroad at the University of Ghana; Legon, Ghana. Course work in Traditional Dance and Drumming & Community Psychology.
- 2004 Three-week Brazilian dance intensive through Goucher College; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Daily classes in modern, samba, folk, social dance and choreography at Univercidade, University Federal de Rio de Janeiro, Angel Vianna Studio, and G.R.E.S. Estacao Primeira de Mangueira.
- 2003 Dance Therapy Internship at Bellevue Hospital; New York, NY. Assistant facilitator for daily group movement and dance therapy sessions in the children and adult psychiatric wards, the methadone clinic and the all-male prison.
2002, 04-11, 2016 Bates Dance Festival, Lewiston, ME
- Professional level intensive with classes in modern, ballet, yoga, choreography and repertory.
2016 FRESH Dance Festival, San Francisco, CA
- Three week dance festival curated by la Alternativa featuring master teachers from San Francisco.
2015 Impulstanz, Vienna, Austria
- Selected as an ATLAS choreographic participant for the four-week intensive training festival.
- Awarded an Artist Development Grant from the Vermont Council of Arts to support tuition.
2007-09 ODC School; Kunst STOFF Arts; Theater Artaud; San Francisco, CA
- Daily classes in advanced modern technique and improvisation.
2007 Dance New Amsterdam, New York, NY
- Daily classes in advanced modern technique.
2005-06 Earthdance, Plainfield, MA
- Student in “Performing Improvisation, Improvising Performance” Workshop with Keith Hennessey, “Performing Presence” workshop with Kathleen Hermesdorf and Stephanie Maher, and participant in the July 4th and New Year’s Improvisational Jam.
2005 American Dance Festival, Durham, NC
- Professional level intensive with daily classes in modern, ballet, choreography and improvisation.
2003 Doug Varone Company Intensive, Purchase, NY
- Professional level intensive with daily classes in modern, ballet, Varone repertoire, and choreography.
Dance Teaching Experience
2015-Present Freelance guest teaching with Modern Technique, Improvisation, Performance and Composition classes ages K-Adult
- Southern Vermont Dance Festival, Brattleboro VT; Kimball Union Academy, Plainfield NH; River Arts, Morrisville VT; The Sable Project, Stockbridge VT; The Champlain Club, South End Studios & North End Studios, Burlington VT; The Everything Space, Montpelier VT; Middlebury College, Middlebury VT; Stone Valley Arts, Poultney VT; American College Dance Festival, SUNY Potsdam NY.
2012-2017 The University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
- Hired as 2016 -17 Adjunct Faculty to teach Contemporary Technique II and IV, and Dance Repertory.
- Guest Artist Teacher for Modern Technique 3 (Fall ‘12) and Modern Technique 4 (Spring ‘13).
- Attended VT College Dance Festival as department faculty.
2016 Kaleidoscope Performance Project & Earth and Soul Movement/Composition Workshop; Montpelier, VT
- Outdoor creative composition and performance workshops for local dancers and movers.
2010-15 The Contemporary Dance and Fitness Studio (CD&FS), Montpelier, VT
- Teacher of weekly classes: “Advanced Modern: Performance, Choreography and Technique,” and “Bootcamp for Advanced Dancers.”
- Developed and taught new “Performance Project” intensives.
- Developed and directed “Student Choreography Group” to assist new choreography students in a year long process of creating new work.
2010-12 Friends School, San Francisco, CA
- Arts and dance educator for elementary level Quaker students in after school program.
2005 Goucher College, Baltimore, MD
- Supplemental Instructor, Advanced Anatomy & Kinesiology course.
- Prepared study guides and weekly review sessions for class of 18 students.
2000-2004 Downer Camp, Sharon, VT
- Planned and instructed dance and movement classes for children aged 8-15.
Yoga and Fitness Teaching Experience
2017-Present Evolution Yoga; Burlington, VT
- Core vinyasa yoga and yoga wall teacher.
2017-Present Sangha; Burlington, VT
- Core vinyasa yoga teacher for over 300 members.
2016-2017 Flynn Center for the Performing Arts, Burlington, VT
- Teacher of “Lengthen and Tone Bootcamp for Dancers.”
2009-2016 Geezum Crow Yoga & Studio Zenith; Montpelier, VT
- Core teacher in the styles of Vinyasa Yoga, Meditation and Body Conditioning.
2016 The Everything Space; Montpelier, VT
- Developed and taught “Sweet Surrender,” a monthly 2 hour Vinyasa, Yin and Restorative workshop.
2016 Twin Fin Surf Camp; Marazul, Tenerife
- Responsible for leading yoga classes and outdoor movement excursions for all guests.
- 2010-2012 Her Club; San Francisco, CA
- Aerobics and Yoga teacher and Personal Trainer in all female gym.
2015-Present Independent Curator, Locations around Vermont
- In charge of producing and curating public dance performances throughout the state of Vermont.
2016-Present Founder and Director, Vermont Dance Alliance
- A non-profit organization designed to bring the voice of Vermont dance to life by building an eco-system of dancers from all genres, service providers, venues, patrons and sponsors throughout the state of Vermont.
- Ongoing projects include regional community gatherings, professional development workshops, creative work shares, formal and informal performances, commissioned site performances, fundraising parties, and lecture demonstrations.
- Past projects include an October Conference and Retreat at The Sable Project (Stockbridge, VT), November guest artist workshops, a February Winter Dance Gala at Montpelier’s Lost Nation Theater with surrounding fundraisers, “Traces,” a free day of public dance happenings, film screenings, dance parties, master classes, and development of website, a statewide Vermont Dance email list-serve and social media network.
2010-15 Director of Professional Programming, The Contemporary Dance & Fitness Studio, Montpelier, VT
- Implemented, publicized and curated a new weekly Guest Artist Workshop Series with local and regional professional dance artists for our intermediate and advanced students.
- Designed, fundraised, and selected artists for the Artist in Residence (AIR) Professional Residency Exchange Program which included exchanging rehearsal time and space for artist workshops, showings and community involvement.
- Transformed one studio into a performance-ready space for new student and faculty choreography showcases, professional productions, and AIR informal showings.
- Developed a social publicity forum through social media and local newspaper listings.
- Organized local art to be on display in the studio foyer and featured in Montpelier’s ArtWalk
2005 Founding Member, Naturally Occurring Visceral Art Improvisation Group; Goucher College, Baltimore, MD
2017- Present Voice and Vessel, Maine and Vermont
- A two-state collaborative project with sound, movement and performance artists Hanna Satterlee (VT),Delaney McDonough (ME), and Caitlin Scholl (ME) to create an interdisciplinary dance based moving tableau that uncovers how we visually/sonically/physically voice and express in different ways, and how we each uniquely carry information in the vessels of our minds and the vessels of our bodies.
- Residency and Technical Support from Studio 408, South Portland ME; Denmark Arts Center, Denmark ME; Flynn Center for the Performing Arts, Burlington VT; Vermont Performance Lab, Guilford VT; Studio 303, Montreal, Canada; Marlboro College, Marlboro VT, Green Street School, Brattleboro VT.
- Grant Support from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Vermont Community Foundation and the New England Foundation for the Arts.
2016- 2017 Artistic Director for a three short-film series titled “Seasonal Dance Poems: Fall, Winter, Spring”
- An abstract expression of nature and human interactions, described seasonally. The first film was created in the fall, the next in winter and the last in spring, with each Vermont location itself a character in the story. Created with support from four national funding institutions. Featuring local and regional artists.
- Film screenings held at Lost Nation Theater, Montpelier VT; Skinny Pancake, Burlington VT; The Sable Project, Stockbridge VT; The Outlet Dance Project/ Grounds for Sculpture, Hamilton NJ; ORCA Media Local Channel, Montpelier VT.
2012-2017 Co-Director and Contributing Choreographer, Montpelier Movement Collective, VT
- “To Sit or Not To Sit?” premiered at Middlebury College Dec ‘15, and in full length during “Dance Fest Vermont!,” Castleton State University, April 2016.
- Commissioned by the City of Montpelier and awarded a Project Grant from Vermont Arts Council, “Co-Lab 1: The People Gallery” was created for the 2013 MontPolar Frostival Lost Nation Theater, Montpelier VT and later toured to Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center & The Helen Day Arts Center (Stowe) and The Phantom Theater (Warren, VT).
2016 Choreographer for film, “Birch”; VT
- Birch, an independent film by Paisley Valentine Walsh.
- Hired to choreograph one large dance class scene and one lead actress dance solo.
2016 Choreographer for film, “In the Longest of Days”; VT
- Hired by band EdenSong to choreograph and perform an ongoing solo in seven outdoor sites
2016 Independent Choreographer/Artist in Residence, The Sable Project; Stockbridge, VT
- Weeklong choreographic residency culminating in a public workshop and site specific performance.
2013-2016 Independent Choreographer and Artistic Director of ANIMAL, Various Locations, Vermont
- Interdisciplinary performance created over two-years for different environments and communities, with 15 public performances and presentations throughout the state of Vermont.
- Artists in residence at the Contemporary Dance and Fitness Studio for the duration of creation.
- Funding from The Vermont Arts Council/NEA and the Montpelier Community Fund.
- Full-length version premiered April 2015 at The Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center, Stowe VT.
- Press: http://www.timesargus.com/article/20150427/NEWS01/704279969. James Lowe, Times Argus, VT.
- Hired as guest lecturer to present ANIMAL to Intermedia students Johnson State College, Johnson, VT (2015, 2017).
2010-2015 Artistic Director for Teen Jazz, CD&FS, Montpelier, VT
- Artistic Director for Teen Jazz; a by-audition advanced teenage touring company. Responsible for bi-weekly company rehearsals, parent communication, tour planning and development of a new 40-minute dance show each season.
2011-12 Choreographic Partner & Ensemble Member, “Dear Pina,” Shelburne Farms, VT
- Collaborated in creation of a large-scale dance/theater tribute to the late choreographer Pina Bausch.
- Co-taught twelve dances with a 30-member ensemble, led warm-up classes and coached individuals.
- Performed as an ensemble member and soloist at The Breeding Barn at Shelburne Farms in June 2012.
2011 Co-Director, “Enchanted Evening Installation Tour”; The Phantom Theater, Warren, VT
- With Kellie Ann Lynch, co-directed an evening walking tour with eight dance installations including “Table, Chair” (which was later accepted and performed at The 2011 Provincetown Dance Festival) and “Rich Woman.”
2010 Choreographer of “Dance Show” (3 dancers, 1 DJ, 8 minutes) The Garage; San Francisco, CA.
2007-09 Co-founder of Two Heads Taller Dance Company, San Francisco, CA
- Chosen as Resident Artists at The Garage, San Francisco, CA to create and perform a new evening-length work “Running Uphill Backwards.”
- Performed at The Garage in SF and The Phantom Theater in Warren, VT.
2006 Choreographer of “Bubbleman”- Contemporary Dance, Montpelier, VT
- Hired to create a work for “Teen Jazz” high school repertoire company to be performed in 2007 tour.
2006 Choreographer of “Was Her Familiar”- Bates Dance Festival, Lewiston, ME
- Performed in adjudicated showcase of work choreographed during the festival.
2017 SEED Grant, Vermont Performance Lab in partnership with Studio 303; Guilford, VT & Montréal, Canada
- Selected for creation of a new collaborative performance project, “Voice and “Vessel,” with intended regional touring.
2013-17 Community Arts Grant, City Council; Montpelier, VT
- Awarded each year for self-producing a new dance project for the public.
2016 Goddard College Alumni Arts Grant
- Award given for the development of “Seasonal Dance Poems” short dance film project.
2013, 2016 Creation Grant, Vermont Council of Art; Montpelier, VT
- 2016 Award given for the development of “Seasonal Dance Poems” short dance film project.
- 2013 Award given for the development of the new work, “ANIMAL.”
2015 Pearl Fund Scholarship
- Scholarship money for dedication to artistic development and professional education. Grant money applied towards graduate school tuition at Goddard College.
2015 Artist Development Grant, Vermont Council of Art; Montpelier, VT
- Grant money awarded to support attending the Impulstanz dance festival in Vienna, Austria.
- 2010-2012 Project Grant, Vermont Council of Art; Montpelier, VT
- Awarded through fiscal sponsor Montpelier Alive for development of a new work for the 2013 MontPolar Frostival. “Co-Lab 1: The People Gallery” at Lost Nation Theater, Montpelier, VT.
- 2007-2009 N.A.S.A. Grant, The Flynn Center for the Performing Arts; Burlington, VT
- Time and space grant for the development of a new work, “Welcome Home” produced by the Flynn.
Professional Performance Experience
2016-Present Company Dancer, Murmurations Dance, Burlington, VT
- Solo and group performer in “When Women Were Birds,” an immersive dance performance, flexible for the stage or an outdoor setting.
- Vermont performances at La Puerta Negra, Lost Nation Theater, and Bread and Butter Farms.
2011-2016 Company Dancer, THE SPACE WE MAKE, New York, NY
- Collaborator in multi-media site-specific interdisciplinary performance collective.
2011-2016 Company Dancer, Double Vision, Montpelier, VT
- Performer/collaborator for “[radical] signs of life,” at EMPAC (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY): a multi-media performance using the Xth sense technology. “[radical]” was modified for VT performances at Shelburne Farms’ “Mini Maker’s Faire” and Dibdon Theater, Johnson State College.
- Performer in Double Vision repertoire at CD&FS, Middlebury College, Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center and The Phantom Theater (VT); and the RAW Festival (New York, NY).
2015 CONVERGE Interdisciplinary Collaborative Residency, PONDEROSA, Stolzenhagen, Germany
- Selected as a collaborator for “The Book of Live Project” during the 2015 summer residency.
2015 EMERGE Interdisciplinary Collaborative Residency, EARTHDANCE, Plainfield, MA
- Selected as a collaborator for the “Conspire Project” during the 2015 winter residency.
- 2012-2014 Performer, Paul Besaw, Burlington and Montpelier, VT
- Vermont performances of Besaw choreography “To The Earth” and “Tract”
- 2011-2013 Performer, Polly Motley, Stowe, VT
- Intensive two yearlong research study with culminating performance at Helen Day Arts Center, Stowe VT.
- 2010-2012 Company Dancer, Big Action Performance Ensemble (BIG APE), Middlebury, VT
- Core Group leader for “Everyone Can Dance;” a community-based project in a three-town Vermont tour: FlynnSpace in Burlington, Lost Nation Theater in Montpelier and Middlebury Town Hall in Middlebury.
- Performer in “Disposable Goods” at the Goose Route Dance Festival in Shepardstown, WV; SUNY Potsdam in Potsdam, NY; and The Phantom Theater in Warren, VT.
2012 Actress, “Brujo,” Chelsea, VT
- Played the role of Margot, a modern dancer attending a Vermont summer dance festival. Role included speaking lines as well as featured dancing, both in the core group as well as a highlighted duet. A Stock Footage Films production. http://brujothemovie.com.
2010 Company Dancer, Anne Bluethenthal & Dancers, San Francisco, CA
- Participated in a yearlong public project called “Random Acts of Dance,” performed at Yoshis and the City Hall– San Francisco, CA.
2009 Company Dancer, Kelly Kemp & Company, San Francisco, CA
- Performer in “Somewhere Close to Home” Dance Mission Theater; San Francisco, CA.
2008-2009 Company Dancer, Laura Arrington Dance Company, San Francisco, CA
- Contributing performer in “The Virgin Sea” and “Thirty Minutes of Wonderful” at ODC and The Garage; San Francisco, CA.
2007 Selected Dancer, Oliver Steele, Dance New Amsterdam, NY
- Selected for a performance project with Oliver Steele, for a shared showcase presented by DNA.
2016-Present House Manager of FlynnSpace performance venue, Burlington ,VT
- 2007-2009 Administrative Assistant, la Alternativa, Kathleen Hermesdorf & Albert Mathias, San Francisco, CA
- Administrative assistant for fund-raising, archiving and organizational duties.
- Intensive daily study of physical technique, improvisation and creative practice.
Additional Interests and Activities: Music, Voice, Meditation, Theater, Creative Writing, Painting, International Travel
Please contact for References