Notable Skills: Teaching, mentoring students, developing new and diverse curriculum, choreographing works for stage and site, directing large-scale collaborative projects, planning and producing public arts events, marketing, grant writing.
2013-2016 Goddard College; Plainfield, VT & Port Townsend, WA
- Earned a Masters in Fine Arts/Interdisciplinary Art degree with focus in Dance.
- Awarded Pearl Fund Scholarship for dedication to artistic development.
2011-12 Community College of Vermont; Montpelier, VT
- Completed Anatomy and Physiology 1 & 2, GPA 4.0.
2002-06 Goucher College; Baltimore, MD
- Earned Bachelor of Arts in Dance and Psychology with a Dance Therapy Concentration, graduating Phi Beta Kappa & Magna Cum Laude.
- 2005 Dance Semester abroad at the University of Ghana; Legon, Ghana. Course work in Traditional Dance and Drumming & Community Psychology.
- 2004 Three-week Brazilian dance intensive through Goucher College; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Daily classes in modern, samba, folk, social dance and choreography at Univercidade, University Federal de Rio de Janeiro, Angel Vianna Studio, and G.R.E.S. Estacao Primeira de Mangueira.
- 2003 Dance Therapy Internship at Bellevue Hospital in the children and adult psychiatric wards, the methadone clinic and the all-male prison. New York, NY.
2002, 04-11, ‘16 Bates Dance Festival; Lewiston, ME
- Professional level intensive with classes in modern, ballet, yoga, choreography and repertory.
2016 FRESH Dance Festival; San Francisco, CA
- Three week dance festival curated by la Alternativa featuring master teachers from San Francisco.
2015 Impulstanz; Vienna, Austria
- Selected by the festival as an ATLAS choreographic participant for the four-week intensive training festival. Awarded an Artist Development Grant from the Vermont Arts Council to support tuition.
2008 Laughing Lotus College of Yoga; San Francisco, CA
- Completed 200+ hour Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Certification.
2016-Present Flynn Center for the Performing Arts; Burlington VT
- Teacher of “Lengthen and Tone Bootcamp for Dancers.”
2012-Present The University of Vermont; Burlington, VT
- Hired as 2016-17 Adjunct Faculty to teach Contemporary Technique II and IV, and Dance Repertory.
- Guest Artist Teacher for Modern Technique 3 (Fall ‘12) and Modern Technique 4 (Spring ‘13).
- Attended VT College Dance Festival as department faculty.
- Guest teacher at the American College Dance Festival (17), SUNY Potsdam, NY.
2017-Present Sangha; Burlington VT
- Core vinyasa yoga teacher for over 300 members
2015, 2017 Johnson State College; Johnson, VT
- Hired as guest lecturer to teach interdisciplinary performance making to Intermedia students.
2016 “Kaleidoscope” & “Earth and Soul”; Montpelier, VT
- Independently organized and produced outdoor creative composition and performance workshops for local dancers and movers.
2009-2016 Geezum Crow Yoga & Studio Zenith; Montpelier, VT
- Core teacher in the styles of Vinyasa Yoga, Meditation and Body Conditioning.
2016 The Everything Space; Montpelier, VT
- Developed and taught “Sweet Surrender,” a 2 hour Vinyasa, Yin and Restorative workshop.
2010-15 The Contemporary Dance and Fitness Studio (CD&FS); Montpelier, VT
- Teacher of weekly classes: “Advanced Modern: Performance, Choreography and Technique,” and “Bootcamp for Advanced Dancers.”
- Developed and taught new “Performance Project” intensives.
- Developed and directed “Student Choreography Group” to assist new choreography students in a year long process of creating new work.
2013 Middlebury College; Middlebury, VT
- Hired as guest artist to teach modern technique to undergraduate dance students.
2015-Present Independent Curator; Locations around Vermont
- In charge of producing and curating public dance performances throughout the state of Vermont.
2016-Present Founder and Director of the Vermont Dance Alliance; VT
- A network for all Vermont based professional dance artists to be able to gather and be inspired by one another, pool resources, build audiences, and share in administrative, fundraising and logistical tasks to produce more high quality dance events throughout the state.
- Ongoing projects include professional development workshops, creative work shares, formal and informal performances, commissioned site performances, fundraising parties, lecture demonstrations.
- Current projects include development of a statewide Vermont Dance website, email list-serve and social media network.
2010-15 Director of Professional Programming, Contemporary Dance & Fitness Studio; Montpelier, VT
- Implemented, publicized and curated a new weekly Guest Artist Workshop Series with local and regional professional dance artists for intermediate and advanced students.
- Designed, fundraised and selected artists for the Artist in Residence (AIR) Professional Residency Exchange Program, which included exchanging rehearsal time and space for artist workshops, showings and community involvement.
- Transformed one studio into a performance ready space for new student and faculty choreography showcases, professional productions, and AIR informal showings.
- Developed a social publicity forum through social media and local newspaper listings
- Organized local art to be on display in the studio foyer and featured in Montpelier’s ArtWalk
2005 Founding Board Member of NOVA: Naturally Occurring Visceral Art Improvisation Group; Goucher College, Baltimore, MD
- Developed to merge art departments in a weekly interdisciplinary practice of improvisation across mediums.
2017 SEED Grant, Vermont Performance Lab in partnership with Studio 303; Guilford, VT & Montréal
- Selected for creation of a new collaborative performance project, “Voice and “Vessel,” with intended regional touring.
2013-17 Community Arts Grant, City Council; Montpelier, VT
- Awarded each year for self-producing a new dance project for the public.
2016 New England Dance Fund, New England Foundation for the Arts; Boston MA
- Awarded to support expenses for “Seasonal Dance Poems” short dance film project.
2016 Goddard College Alumni Arts Grant through Goddard College; WA/VT
- Award given for the development of “Seasonal Dance Poems” short dance film project.
2013, 2016 Creation Grant, Vermont Arts Council; Montpelier, VT
- 2016 Award given for the development of “Seasonal Dance Poems” short dance film project.
- 2013 Award given for the development of the new work, “ANIMAL.”
2015 Pearl Fund Scholarship through Goddard College; WA/VT
- Scholarship money for dedication to artistic development and professional education.
- Grant money applied towards graduate school tuition at Goddard College.
2015 Artist Development Grant, Vermont Arts Council; Montpelier, VT
- Grant money awarded to support attending the Impulstanz dance festival in Vienna.
- 2010-2012 Project Grant, Vermont Arts Council; Montpelier, VT
- Awarded through fiscal sponsor “Montpelier Alive” for development of a new work for the 2013 MontPolar Frostival. “Co-Lab 1: The People Gallery” at Lost Nation Theater, Montpelier VT.
- 2007-2009 N.A.S.A. Grant, The Flynn Center for the Performing Arts; Burlington, VT
- Time and space grant for the development of a new work, “Welcome Home” produced by the Flynn.
2016- Present Artistic Director of short-film series, “Seasonal Dance Poems: Fall, Winter, Spring;” VT
- An abstract expression of nature and human interactions, described seasonally. Created with support from four national funding institutions. Featuring local and regional artists.
2012-Present Co-Director and Contributing Choreographer, Montpelier Movement Collective; VT
- “To Sit or Not To Sit?” premiered at Middlebury College Dec ‘15, and in full length during “Dance Fest Vermont!” Castleton State University, April 2016.
- Commissioned by the City of Montpelier and awarded a Project Grant from Vermont Arts Council, “Co-Lab 1: The People Gallery” was created for the 2013 MontPolar Frostival Lost Nation Theater, Montpelier VT and later toured to Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center and The Helen Day Arts Center (Stowe) and The Phantom Theater (Warren, VT).
2016 Choreographer for film, “Birch”; VT
- Birch, an independent film by Paisley Valentine Walsh
- Hired to choreograph one large dance class scene and one lead actress dance solo
2016 Choreographer for film, “In the Longest of Days;” VT
- Hired by band EdenSong to choreograph and perform an ongoing solo in seven outdoor sites
2016 Independent Choreographer/Artist in Residence, The Sable Project; Stockbridge, VT
- Week-long choreographic residency culminating in a public workshop and site specific performance.
2013-2016 Independent Choreographer and Artistic Director of “ANIMAL” Various Locations, VT
- Interdisciplinary performance created over two-years for different environments and communities, with 15 public performances and presentations throughout the state of Vermont.
- Artists in residence at the Contemporary Dance and Fitness Studio for the duration of creation.
- Funding from The Vermont Arts Council/NEA and the Montpelier Community Fund.
- Full-length version premiered April 2015 at The Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center, Stowe VT.
- Press: http://www.timesargus.com/article/20150427/NEWS01/704279969. James Lowe, The Times Argus, VT.
2010-2015 Artistic Director of Teen Jazz, CD&FS; Montpelier, VT
- Artistic Director of Teen Jazz, a by-audition advanced teenage touring company. Responsible for bi-weekly company rehearsals, parent communication, tour planning and development of a new 40-minute dance show each season.
2011-12 Choreographic Partner & Ensemble Member, “Dear Pina,” Shelburne Farms, VT
- Collaborated in creation of a large-scale dance/theater tribute to the late choreographer Pina Bausch.
- Co-taught twelve dances with a 30-member ensemble, led warm-up classes and coached individuals.
- Performed as an ensemble member and soloist at The Breeding Barn at Shelburne Farms in June 2012.
2011 Co-Director, “Enchanted Evening Installation Tour” The Phantom Theater, Warren, VT
- With Kellie Ann Lynch, co-directed an evening walking tour with eight dance installations including “Table, Chair” (which was later accepted and performed at The 2011 Provincetown Dance Festival) and “Rich Woman.”
2007-09 Co-founder of Two Heads Taller Dance Company; San Francisco, CA
- Chosen as Resident Artists at The Garage, San Francisco, CA to create and perform a new evening-length work “Running Uphill Backwards.”
- Performed at The Garage in SF and The Phantom Theater in Warren, VT.
Professional Performance Experience
2016-Present Company Dancer, Murmurations Dance; Burlington, VT
- Solo and group performer in “When Women Were Birds,” an immersive dance performance, flexible for the stage or an outdoor setting.
- Vermont performances at La Puerta Negra, Lost Nation Theater, and Bread and Butter Farms.
2011-Present Company Dancer, THE SPACE WE MAKE; New York, NY
- Collaborator in multi-media site-specific interdisciplinary performance collective.
2011-Present Company Dancer, Double Vision; Montpelier, VT
- Performer/collaborator for “[radical] signs of life,” at EMPAC (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY): a multi-media performance using the Xth sense technology. “[radical]” was modified for VT performances at Shelburne Farms’ “Mini Maker’s Faire” and Dibdon Theater, Johnson State College.
- Performer in Double Vision repertoire at CD&FS, Middlebury College, Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center and The Phantom Theater (VT); and the RAW Festival (NY, NY).
2015 CONVERGE Interdisciplinary Collaborative Residency, PONDEROSA, Stolzenhagen, Germany
- Selected as a collaborator for “The Book of Live Project” during the 2015 summer residency.
2015 EMERGE Interdisciplinary Collaborative Residency, EARTHDANCE, Plainfield, MA
- Selected as a collaborator for the “Conspire Project” during the 2015 winter residency.
- 2011-2014 Freelance Performer with Paul Besaw, Burlington and Montpelier, VT
- “To The Earth,” FlynnSpace, Burlington VT, December 2012.
- “Tract” Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center, University of Vermont, Middlebury College and Contemporary Dance and Fitness Studio, Locations around Vermont, 2014.
- 2011-2014 Freelance Performer with Polly Motley, Stowe, VT
- Intensive two-year long research study with culminating performance at Helen Day Arts Center.
2011-13 Company Dancer, Big Action Performance Ensemble (BIG APE); Middlebury, VT
- Core Group leader for “Everyone Can Dance;” a community-based project in a three-town Vermont tour: FlynnSpace in Burlington, Lost Nation Theater in Montpelier and Middlebury Town Hall in Middlebury.
- Performer in “Disposable Goods” at the Goose Route Dance Festival in Shepardstown, West Virginia; SUNY Potsdam in Postdam, NY; and The Phantom Theater in Warren, VT.
2012 Actress, “Brujo,” Chelsea, VT
- Played the role of Margot, a modern dancer attending a Vermont summer dance festival. Role included speaking lines as well as featured dancing, both in the core group as well as a highlighted duet. A Stock Footage Films production. http://brujothemovie.com
Additional Interests and Activities: Music, Voice, Meditation, Theater, Creative Writing, Painting, International Travel
References: Available upon request